TLC Writers’ Day 2017
The UK's leading editorial consultancy hosts a day of sessions on Mapping the Novel, An Editor's Perspective and Finding Markets, plus TLC Pen Factor pitches to a panel of agents and publishers.
Following the sell-out success of TLC Writers’ Day 2016, The Literary Consultancy is pleased to be able to announce the lineup for 2017, in a new full-day programme with longer sessions and more speakers.
Writers’ Day will feature key industry speakers offering practical advice on writing, editing and reaching a range of markets, with the chance to submit writing to the TLC Pen Factor Writing Competition, and the opportunity to submit specific marketing questions ahead of the event.
TLC Writers’ Day Programme Saturday 24th June 2017
- 10am – Registration
- 10.30am – Introduction by TLC Manager Aki Schilz
- 10.45am-11.45am – ‘Mapping the Novel’ with acclaimed novelist Jacob Ross. A talk on planning, plotting, and story structure + Q&A
- 11.45am-12.45pm – ‘An Editor’s Perspective’ with Editorial Director at Granta Books, Max Porter. A look at some compelling first chapters of published works, presented by one of the UK’s leading publishers + Q&A
- 12.45pm-1.00pm Lunch
- 1.30pm-1.40pm – Special guest reading, bestselling novelist Giles Kristian
- 1.45pm-2.30pm – TLC Pen Factor live pitches with judges Emma Paterson (Rogers, Coleridge & White), Angelique Tran (Bloomsbury), Crystal Mahey-Morgan (OWN IT!) and Ed Wilson (Johnson & Alcock)
- 2.30pm -2.40pm Break
- 2.40pm-3.40pm – ‘Finding Markets’ with Julia Kingsford (KingsfordCampbell), Stefan Tobler (And Other Stories) and Jonathan White (Matador). A discussion about markets currently available to writers, and how best to reach them, including traditional publishing houses, independent presses, and self-publishing platforms. Speakers will share top tips and guests are invited to submit their specific marketing queries ahead of the event with several selected for analysis by our experts.
- 3.40pm-4pm – Networking and book signing opportunity
- 4pm – End
TLC Pen Factor
The TLC Pen Factor Writing Competition is open to all ticket-holders of TLC Writers’ Day 2017, with a submission deadline of 12pm (midday) Monday June 5th. The competition is for previously unpublished fiction (adult/YA) or memoir writing.
A shortlist of five finalists will be selected to pitch their work live to a panel of industry judges on the day. Full details will be issued once you have purchased your Writers’ Day ticket.
2017 TLC Pen Factor judges: literary agent Emma Paterson (Rogers, Coleridge & White), Editor Angelique Tran (Bloomsbury UK), Director of OWN!IT Crystal Mahey-Morgan, and literary agent Ed Wilson (Johnson & Alcock).
Julia Kingsford (KingsfordCampbell)
Giles Kristian (novelist)
Crystal Mahey-Morgan (OWN!IT)
Emma Paterson (Rogers, Coleridge & White)
Max Porter (Granta Books)
Jacob Ross (novelist)
Aki Schilz (The Literary Consultancy)
Stefan Tobler (And Other Stories)
Angelique Tran (Bloomsbury)
Jonathan White (Matador)
Ed Wilson (Johnson & Alcock)
You may also like
I Stared at the Night of the City
- Mon 13 Mar 2017
- 6:45am - 9:00pm
- Free Word Centre
We welcome author Bakhtiyar Ali to discuss I Stared at the Night of the City with his translator Kareem Abdulrahman. The book is a lyrical interpretation of contemporary Kurdistan with a kaleidoscope of unreliable narrators.
Listen: A Nordic Noir - Thomas Rydahl’s The Hermit
Listen to Thomas Rydhal discusses his debut crime novel The Hermit. An instant bestseller in Denmark and winner of the Glass Key Award for the best Nordic crime novel.
Listen: Body Politic 2016 - Freedom of Movement
Listen back to Body Politic: Freedom of Movement looking at how censorship affects the language of the body. Dance Umbrella with Free Word, Index on Censorship and One Dance UK.