TLC Writers’ Day 2017
The UK's leading editorial consultancy hosts a day of sessions on Mapping the Novel, An Editor's Perspective and Finding Markets, plus TLC Pen Factor pitches to a panel of agents and publishers.
Following the sell-out success of TLC Writers’ Day 2016, The Literary Consultancy is pleased to be able to announce the lineup for 2017, in a new full-day programme with longer sessions and more speakers.
Writers’ Day will feature key industry speakers offering practical advice on writing, editing and reaching a range of markets, with the chance to submit writing to the TLC Pen Factor Writing Competition, and the opportunity to submit specific marketing questions ahead of the event.
TLC Writers’ Day Programme Saturday 24th June 2017
- 10am – Registration
- 10.30am – Introduction by TLC Manager Aki Schilz
- 10.45am-11.45am – ‘Mapping the Novel’ with acclaimed novelist Jacob Ross. A talk on planning, plotting, and story structure + Q&A
- 11.45am-12.45pm – ‘An Editor’s Perspective’ with Editorial Director at Granta Books, Max Porter. A look at some compelling first chapters of published works, presented by one of the UK’s leading publishers + Q&A
- 12.45pm-1.00pm Lunch
- 1.30pm-1.40pm – Special guest reading, bestselling novelist Giles Kristian
- 1.45pm-2.30pm – TLC Pen Factor live pitches with judges Emma Paterson (Rogers, Coleridge & White), Angelique Tran Van Sang (Bloomsbury), Crystal Mahey-Morgan (OWN IT!) and Ed Wilson (Johnson & Alcock)
- 2.30pm -2.40pm Break
- 2.40pm-3.40pm – ‘Finding Markets’ with Julia Kingsford (KingsfordCampbell), Stefan Tobler (And Other Stories) and Jonathan White (Matador). A discussion about markets currently available to writers, and how best to reach them, including traditional publishing houses, independent presses, and self-publishing platforms. Speakers will share top tips and guests are invited to submit their specific marketing queries ahead of the event with several selected for analysis by our experts.
- 3.40pm-4pm – Networking and book signing opportunity
- 4pm – End
TLC Pen Factor
The TLC Pen Factor Writing Competition is open to all ticket-holders of TLC Writers’ Day 2017, with a submission deadline of 12pm (midday) Monday June 5th. The competition is for previously unpublished fiction (adult/YA) or memoir writing.
A shortlist of five finalists will be selected to pitch their work live to a panel of industry judges on the day. Full details will be issued once you have purchased your Writers’ Day ticket.
2017 TLC Pen Factor judges: literary agent Emma Paterson (Rogers, Coleridge & White), Editor Angelique Tran Van Sang (Bloomsbury UK), Director of OWN!IT Crystal Mahey-Morgan, and literary agent Ed Wilson (Johnson & Alcock).
Julia Kingsford (KingsfordCampbell)
Giles Kristian (novelist)
Crystal Mahey-Morgan (OWN!IT)
Emma Paterson (Rogers, Coleridge & White)
Max Porter (Granta Books)
Jacob Ross (novelist)
Aki Schilz (The Literary Consultancy)
Stefan Tobler (And Other Stories)
Angelique Tran Van Sang (Bloomsbury)
Jonathan White (Matador)
Ed Wilson (Johnson & Alcock)
You may also like
BatNon & Robin: How to be an Author
- Mon 24 Apr 2017
- 6:30pm - 8:30pm
- Free Word Centre
How do you survive post-publication? How do you maintain momentum for your second (and third, and fourth) books? And how, when incomes are shrinking, do you keep paying the rent?
Listen: They're Your Rights - Fight for Them
Listen to the launch of 89up's report They’re Your Rights: Fight For Them, which looks at the potential threat to human rights following Brexit. Hear from the experts about what you can do to fight for your rights.
Listen: Kingdom of Twilight with Steven Uhly
Acclaimed author Steven Uhly and British translator Jamie Bulloch read and discuss Kingdom of Twilight; a ground-breaking thriller that explores identity and home in traumatised post-war world.